Other Visas & News
Skilled Visas

Greece & Poland join Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462) Eligible Countries

The contents of this article are correct as at 2 August 2014.

On 1 August 2014 the Australian Government extended its Working Holiday Maker Program to passport holders of Poland and Greece.

The subclass 462 Work and Holiday visa enables young travellers to remain in Australia for up to 12 months from date of entry:

  • for holiday purposes; and/or
  • to work or undertake work place based training for any single employer for not more than 6 months; and/or
  • to study for up to 4 months.

Applicants must:

  • Hold eligible passports (which now include Greek or Polish passports)
  • Be aged between 18 and 30 years of age
  • Not have held a Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) and Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462) previously
  • Apply online visa the Immigration Department’s website
  • Pay the visa fee of $420
  • Be outside Australia at time of lodgement and visa grant.

It should be noted that there will be 500 places available for applicants from Greece and 200 places for applicants from Poland in any programme year. Once this cap is reached, no further visas will be granted in that programme year.

A person who holds a subclass 462 visa (or a subclass 417 visa) may have options of extending their stay in Australia, including:

  • The temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) – which allows skilled workers to be sponsored and employed by eligible Australian employers.
  • The points tested General Skilled Migration Program (for example subclasses 189, 190 and 489).
  • The employer linked permanent residency visas – such as the Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186) and Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 187).
  • Partner/spouse migration (subclass 820/801).
  • The student visa program – for people seeking to undertake full time studies in Australia.

If you are currently in Australia on a subclass 462 or 417 visa and have an Australian employer that would like to sponsor or nominate you, or you have questions about your options to remain longer in Australia, please feel free to contact Visa Lawyers Australia.