Other Visas & News
Skilled Visas

Changes to Bridging Visas for Partner and Parent Applicants

The contents of this article are correct as at 30 November 2012.

From November 2012, onshore partner and parent visa applicants will be granted a Bridging Visa A and Bridging Visa B with nil conditions. The Bridging Visa is designed to enable a visa applicant to remain in Australia lawfully while their application is being processed. Bridging Visa As are granted to applicants who make an application onshore and hold a substantive visa at the time of making the application. Bridging Visa Bs are granted to applicants who show that they have a compelling need to travel offshore before their visa application has been finalised.

Ordinarily the conditions on any existing substantive visa, carry over to any subsequent Bridging Visa A or B, and continue to apply until the visa applied for has been granted. The granting of nil conditions on Bridging Visas A and B for partner and parent visa applicants means, that once a visa applicant’s substantive visa has expired, such applicants will be free from any conditions which applied to their substantive visa, even though their partner or parent visa has not yet been granted.

For example, a tourist visa holder who held a tourist visa with a ‘no work’ condition (8101) attached, would be free to work full time once their tourist visa had expired. Subclass 457 visa holders, who are restricted by condition 8107 to work only for their sponsoring employer, will be free to work for any employer, once their 457 visa has expired.

Please note that the grant of a nil condition bridging visa only applies to partner and parent visa applicants who are granted Bridging Visas A and B. Those who are granted Bridging Visas C, D and E will be bound by the conditions on the bridging visa and on any previous visa held, up until the partner or parent visa is granted.

If you are uncertain as to what conditions apply to your visa or any subsequent bridging visa you hold, you may wish to look up your visa information through the Visa Entitlement Verification Online system, which is available on the DIAC website.

If you would like any assistance please feel free to contact us.