The 400 visa allows foreign nationals with highly specialised skills not generally available in Australia to travel to Australia to undertake specialist work. Once approved, the 400 visa holder may undertake the work as an employee or as a contractor. Generally, 400 visas are granted for a short period of stay of up to 3 months. It is possible for a 400 visa to be granted for up to 6 months, where there is a strong business case for the grant period. This visa is not suitable for ongoing appointments.
Applicants must be outside of Australia at the time that the visa is applied for and approved. An applicant cannot apply for a 400 visa while in Australia. Applicants will need to demonstrate that they have the relevant skills and work experience background, they meet health and character requirements and are genuine temporary entrants.
How we can help
We can provide professional guidance that assists the organisation and the visa applicant to meet requirements for the grant of the 400 visa.
Our professional services include:
- Advising on criteria required for visa approval
- Identifying and minimising risks, especially for repeat users of the 400 visa pathway
- Preparing the visa application
- Providing advice in relation to letters of support and other documents required from the organisation
- Drafting any written submissions in support
- Communicating with the Department on behalf of the organisation and the visa applicant until a decision is received
To discuss how we can assist you with advice and an application under the 400 visa scheme, please click here to contact Visa Lawyers Australia.