Including Dependents On Your Visa Application
The Australian Government has introduced far reaching changes to the definition of Member of the Family Unit (MoFU) for the purpose of most visa applications. There are now significant limitations on the class of persons that can be considered part of MoFU and hence be included in a visa application.
Character Assessment of Australian Sponsors of Partner Visa Applications
From 18 November 2016, Australian citizen and permanent resident Sponsors of Partner Visa and Prospective Marriage Visa applications (“a partner visa”), are subject to character testing. In line with current Australian Government strategies to reduce family violence in the Australian community, the new provisions have been introduced to prevent Australians who have committed a relevant offence from being able to sponsor someone for a partner visa.
Sponsoring overseas workers in the hospitality and tourism industries

The contents of this article are correct as at 6 March 2012.

The 457 visa program is a fast and simple way to address immediate skills shortages in your hotel, motel or restaurant by sponsoring workers from overseas.

The program allows employers to address labour shortages where they cannot find appropriately skilled Australians.

Workers who are sponsored by an Australian employer for a 457 visa:

  • May work in Australia for up to 4 years (with the possibility of renewal)
  • May travel in and out of Australia as often as they like during the visa validity period
  • May bring their partner and children to Australia with them – with their partner having unlimited work rights
  • May switch their 457 visa sponsorship to a new position and/ or a new employer
  • May maintain health insurance to cover hospital admissions for the duration of their stay in Australia.

Employers in the hospitality and tourism industry need to be particularly careful to ensure that they are sponsoring workers for occupations of a suitable skill level. In most cases, occupations will require a visa applicant to have:

  • At least a relevant Certificate III qualification, if the position is for a trade occupation; or
  • At least a Diploma level qualification, if a service- or administrative-based position·   

Some common examples of eligible hospitality and tourism occupations include:

  • Trade occupations
    • Cook (General)
    • Cook (Asian Cuisine)
    • Pastry Cook
    • Chef
  • Service occupations
    • Café or Restaurant Manager
    • Hotel or Motel Manager
    • Licenced Club Manager
    • Bed and Breakfast Operator
    • Snowsport Instructor
    • Customer Service Manager
    • Program or Project Administrator
    • Accommodation and Hospitality Managers·  

Some employers in regional Australia may be able to nominate lesser skilled occupations under a Labour Agreement.

If you are an employer or an overseas worker seeking employment in the Hospitality and Tourism Industries and have questions concerning the immigration process, please click this link to contact Visa Lawyers Australia.