Skilled (Regional Sponsored) Visas: subclasses 489 and 887
The Regional Sponsored subclass 887 permanent visa is only available to people who hold a provisional Regional Sponsored visa, have lived in a designated regional area for at least 2 years and have worked full time in that area for at least 12 months. From 1 January 2013, the only provisional Regional Sponsored visa available is the subclass 489.
The subclass 489 is a 4-year provisional visa for applicants who:
- can achieve a pass mark of 60 points; and
- are sponsored by:
- an eligible relative living in a designated area of Australia (i.e. outside the Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra and Brisbane metropolitan areas; or
- nominated by a State or Territory Government; and
- have submitted an Expression of Interest to the Department of Immigration through SkillSelect; and
- have received an Invitation to Apply.
Updated 6 June 2013.